Capitão Manuel João d'Oliveira

Este tópico está classificado nas salas: Pessoas | Famílias | Regiões

#109005 | Judite J. | 07 jan 2006 17:52

Caros Senhores,

Inicio este tópico a pedido de Colin Slater (Oliveira), que vive no Reino Unido e procura notícias de um seu antepassado, o Capitão Manuel João d'Oliveira.
A todos, desde já, em meu nome e em nome de Colin, agradeço a ajuda que possam prestar.

Passo a transcrever a mensagem de Colin que se encontra também no forum da página de Doug da Rocha Holmes:

"I am endeavouring to trace my direct line of ancestry and would be delighted if you are able to guide me. My earliest starting point is Captain Manuel Joas d'Oliveira, born 1756, who was in command of the vessel: 'St.Josef' or possibly spelt ' Joseph', which ran aground in Table Bay, at the Cape of Good Hope in 1793. Is there any way of finding information about his roots? On 11th May 1795 he married Gezina van Blerk who was of Netherlands ancestry. She was the daughter of Niklaas van Blerk of Venlo, Netherlands and Katerina van Blerk, who came from Nijmegan. Her mother had the surname Magetsky. Captain d'Oliveira died at the Cape of Good Hope on 11th May, 1795. Thanking you."

Também acrescento informação complementar que Colin acaba de me enviar por e-mail:

"I have always believed, Manuel João d'Oliveira was born on the Azores Islands. However, let me hasten to add that because of the long silence which has intervened it will be necessary for me now to trace back in the family records which I have on my computer and then update you with whatever I find.
My original passport and birth certificate is issued in the name of COLIN ROY d'OLIVEIRA and I feel I should, and indeed would like to, be able to claim direct Portuguese descendency. For reasons, now clouded in the mists of time, my surname was changed to SLATER in the 1960's but there is no impediment to my changing it back to my Portuguese birthname should that be an option. The SLATER originates from my mother's side as she was a SLATER who married CORNELIUS JOHANNES d'OLIVEIRA - obviously a great,great grandson - or possibly even further removed - of the original Manuel who, when he sailed his ship into Table Bay at the Cape of Good Hope, it immediately ran aground and he waded ashore. From that point emerged the South African branch of the d'OLIVEIRA family."

Com os mais cordiais cumprimentos e votos de Bom Ano,

Judite

Resposta

Link directo:

RE: Capitão Manuel João d'Oliveira

#109053 | Judite J. | 08 jan 2006 15:18 | Em resposta a: #109005

Renovo o pedido de ajuda para Colin Slaver (Oliveira), relativamente a informações sobre o seu ascendente Manuel João d'Oliveira, Capitão do "S. José", afundado no fim do século XVIII no Cabo da Boa Esperança.

A propósito desse naufrágio, e como curiosidade, transcrevo uma notícia divulgada em 2004 na África do Sul acerca de um projecto de arqueologia subaquática que inclui o "S. José":

Researchers poised to uncover slave ship secrets

Wendell Roelf | Cape Town

05 May 2004 09:41

The Dutch slave ship Meermin ran aground off the southern Cape coast 236 years ago after an on-board rebellion was almost victorious -- now researchers are poised to find her secrets.

"It is the beginning of a larger project to find different slave wrecks around the South African coastline," said Meermin project manager Jaco Boshoff, a maritime archaeologist attached to Iziko Museums.

The ship's last moments are a researcher's dream: bottled messages were surreptitiously slipped into the sea and the rebellion of 140 slaves-to-be quelled before the Meermin ran aground.

Boshoff said the first of three project phases would kick off on May 18, with a four-day expedition conducting a series of preliminary tests using a land and marine magnetometer, a device measuring the earth's magnetic field and which registers anomalies such as canons and other metal objects, to help map the exact location of the shipwreck.

"Once we have found the wreck, the second phase kicks in and will see limited excavation where we will open up sections of the wreck and take selected artefacts," said Boshoff of the R1,6-million Lotto-funded project.

The third phase would entail the dissemination of information, including a museum exhibition, workshops and the development of a CD Rom on the Meermin for educational use.

If a wreck is found, Boshoff and his team will have to work methodically using a vacuum-like water dredge to clear the wreck area and bring up artefacts.

The project team intends surveying an area one kilometre on either side of the Heuningnes River near the De Mond Nature Reserve, near Stuisbaai.

He said archaeologists were hoping to find artefacts such as copper, cloth, beads and other common items such as plates and wine bottles.

"The Dutch had access to the wreck for a week after... and removed a lot of trade goods such as copper, cloth and beads... [but] there might still be some left, and we are hoping to find chains and shackles... as well as one or two Madagascan-type spears," said Boshoff, saying that archival material indicated that a stash of indigenous weapons had been collected from Madagascar and was used during the uprising.

Boshoff said a direct consequence of the project was setting up a properly equipped "conservation lab" in Cape Town to treat sea artefacts as they were brought to the surface, something that was lacking presently.

Boshoff said they were optimistic the wreck would be found, given the fact that she was not lost in a storm, researchers had a fairly good idea of her location and she was not lost in deep water, but ran aground relatively close inshore.

"From experience of other wrecks in the area, the wreck is probably covered up with sand which would protect the organic material... the top section will be missing, but we hope it will be well-preserved from the waterline down," he said.

The initial plan, scrapped because of financial restraints, was to have the Meermin's secrets unearthed and a model built by 2002, to coincide with quadricentennial celebrations of the establishment of the Dutch East India Company in 1602

"I think this wreck will be a bit of an icon... if found it will be the first slave shipwreck found off the South African coast," said Boshoff.

Boshoff said as part of the larger three-year project of locating slave shipwrecks, attempts would be made later to also locate the French slave ship La Cybelle which went down off Milnerton in 1756 with slaves from Senegal, and the Portuguese vessel St Jose, which went down off Camps Bay in 1794 with slaves from Mozambique. "

Obrigada.

Judite

Resposta

Link directo:

#109059 | Judite J. | 08 jan 2006 16:36 | Em resposta a: #109005

Enquanto aguardo ajuda para a pesquisa deste tópico, aproveito para adiantar outra informação, que agora me chegou, acerca do Capitão
Manuel João d'Oliveira:

Manuel João d'Oliveira (com a grafia Manuel Joahn d'Oliveira na obra que a seguir indico) é apontado por Colenbrader, no livro "O Parentesco dos Boers", como o segundo português a fixar-se no Cabo.
De acordo com a mesma fonte, o primeiro a fixar-se na Cidade do Cabo foi Inácio (Ignatius) Ferreira, que aparece nos registos da Cidade do Cabo em 1772.
Voltando a "Johan", casou a 11 de Maio de 1795 com Gezina van Bler, nascida no Cabo, des ascendência holandesa, Tiveram três filhos.
Colin Slater, que vive no Reino Unido e para quem se solicita toda a ajuda possível, é um dos seus muitos descendentes.
Alguém tem alguma pista sobre a origem de Manuel João d'Oliveira?

Judite

Resposta

Link directo:

#109061 | Judite J. | 08 jan 2006 16:37 | Em resposta a: #109059

Gezina van Blerk, queria dizer.

Resposta

Link directo:

#109208 | Joman | 10 jan 2006 07:00 | Em resposta a: #109061

Cara Judite

Tendo sido Manuel João de Oliveira um capitão não seria melhor colocar a questão aos responsáveis do Arquivo Geral da Marinha?
Talvez eles tenham dados sobre o capitão e o seu navio.

João Manuel de Oliveira (sem parentesco conhecido)

Resposta

Link directo:

#109271 | Judite J. | 10 jan 2006 19:09 | Em resposta a: #109208

Caro Manuel João de Oliveira

Obrigada pela sua mensagem e pela sugestão que me dá. Não me tinha ocorrido a consulta dessa fonte, mas e muito provável que o Arquivo da Marinha tenha informação sobre o "S. José" e sobre o capitão, seu homónimo.

Cumprimentos

Judite

Resposta

Link directo:

#349616 | Peter1970 | 27 ago 2014 09:45 | Em resposta a: #109005

Hi there my name is Peter Rossouw. My Grandfather Was Colin Gillespie d'Oliveira. His Father Was Frank John d'oliveira the brother of Joas d'Oliveira van Schoor.

I've been researching the family tree for over ten years. and have a lot of the same information and names you have. I would love to share info and pics.

Kindest regards

Peter
peterr@capasso.co.za

Resposta

Link directo:

Mensagens ordenadas por data.
A hora apresentada corresponde ao fuso GMT. Hora actual: 03 mai 2024, 22:21

Enviar nova mensagem

Por favor, faça login ou registe-se para usar esta funcionalidade

Settings / Definiciones / Definições / Définitions / Definizioni / Definitionen