Help please

Este tópico está classificado nas salas: Arquivos | Bibliografia | Formação

Help please

#283332 | mellyb | 30 jul 2011 16:19

I have just joined this website and I am completely lost as to where to begin. I know my ancestors are on here but I dont know how to search for things like photos and information on what they did for a profession. Can anyone please help with some basic information.
Thanks

Resposta

Link directo:

RE: HELP PLEASE

#283347 | LBolacha | 30 jul 2011 19:04 | Em resposta a: #283332

Go to the english part of the site, then just search for the name of your ancestors. With a little search, you should be able to find what your looking for, eg the personal page for your ancestors with every information that is knowed to the founders of the website.

Resposta

Link directo:

#283352 | roz | 30 jul 2011 21:37 | Em resposta a: #283332

Hello mellyb

This site is not at all similar to ancestry and the like. If you want to see if a certain person's details are here, you write his/her name on the small top window in the thin green border on the right hand side, next to the word "pessoas", and enter. If their data is here their page will come up. The information shown is usually date & place of birth, name of parents/husband/children, if known. Very rarely comes the profession, unless is someone well known.

The forum serves to exchange information between people that research the same families. So, for example, you say whose ancestors you are looking for (names, dates even if approx., area of the country) and if anyone else belongs or researches that family they contact you.

So be specific and tell us who or what you are looking for so that maybe someone may help you.

Good luck.
Rosario

Resposta

Link directo:

#283353 | mellyb | 30 jul 2011 21:45 | Em resposta a: #283352

I have already done a complete family search on the site (mother's side) and have found ancestors dating back to the 1st King of Portugal so that is not the issue. What I really wanted was 'more' information than just names and dates. I wanted to try and research their lives and if possible see if there were any photos that maybe available on here. The site has been very good compared to alot of other searches and sites I have used to research my fathers side but as I said I thought there maybe an easy way to merge information or get given hints of similar family trees here. Obviously it will be just a matter of hunting out the information I require.
Thanks for your response

Resposta

Link directo:

#283374 | roz | 31 jul 2011 01:22 | Em resposta a: #283353

Hello again

Then in this site there is no more information than what you already saw. However depending on what your ancestors did (if they were in the military, civil servants, the colonial service, etc.) you might find information in the Arquivo Historico Militar, Arquivo Historico da Marinha or Arquivo Hstorico Ultramarino (not on line), or in Direccao Geral de Arquivos:
http://ttonline.dgarq.gov.pt/DServe.exe?dsqServer=calm6&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl

or you can try also here:
http://digitarq.dgarq.gov.pt/

In most cases you do not actually see the document but it will give you the information of what it is and its reference. You can then either write to the Archive or go in person to see the document. Some documents are already on line but not the majority.

Mainly for members of the clergy you can find information here:
http://epl.di.uminho.pt/~jcr/PROJS/inquiricoes/novo_pgsql/igenere/

And this is all I can think of regarding places to find people's professions. Hope it will help.

Rosario

Resposta

Link directo:

#283377 | mellyb | 31 jul 2011 02:26 | Em resposta a: #283374

Thanks Rosario, I dont have any idea what line of work they were in but at least you have given me the sites to search, thats certainly a start. I thought this site provided a little more than it does but, hey its not the first genealogy site I have spent money on and Im sure it wont be the last!!
Regards

Resposta

Link directo:

#283418 | roz | 31 jul 2011 15:32 | Em resposta a: #283377

Hi mellyb,

I forgot to mention the most obvious one. The births/marriages/deaths registers! Most of the 19th century ones say what they did for a living and a few might even give their address but you must either search the microfilms yourself in the archives or ask them for a copy if you have the approximate date of the event, the parish and the names of the parents of the individual. If you do this ask for a non certified copy (copia nao autenticada) as this only costs around 1 Euro or so but the certified ones costs over 15 Euros.
When you get to the 1700's it gets trickier as it is rarely mentioned.
Also, in Portugal there is no access to the Census as in England or America so you have to research the hard way, I'm afraid!
Regards.
Rosario

Resposta

Link directo:

Mensagens ordenadas por data.
A hora apresentada corresponde ao fuso GMT. Hora actual: 07 mai 2024, 02:35

Enviar nova mensagem

Por favor, faça login ou registe-se para usar esta funcionalidade

Settings / Definiciones / Definições / Définitions / Definizioni / Definitionen